Strategically maximize the value of the Library and Research function
Library, research and information services teams play a critical role in the success of their law firms by:
- Helping attorneys build and maintain a knowledge edge
- Reducing the time attorneys spend looking for information and maintaining current awareness
- Increasing attorney understanding of a client’s business and risk environment
- Supporting marketing and business development efforts
Library and research functions can benefit from periodically stepping back and systematically evaluating how well they support the law firm’s business priorities. That way, they can provide higher-quality services to attorneys, marketing departments, and clients. They can also identify attractive business growth opportunities for their firms.
Assessing Processes, Capabilities, and Context
Mind-Alliance applies a rigorous framework to analyzing the capabilities–people, process, technology, and data–involved in key library and research activities. We highlight opportunities to improve activities such as:
- Research support and current awareness monitoring
- Utilizing subscription information products and services
- Locating subject matter experts who can serve as expert witnesses
- Training new associates and staff on research methods and systems
We can evaluate how other functions in the firm are impeding or supporting core activities, and whether talent mismatches or capacity shortages are problems.
Improvements Based on Data
Systematically collecting and analyzing this data provides a solid basis for a strategic plan to improve the capabilities needed to maximize the value provided to the firm.